Saturday, March 12, 2011

Beautiful, Interesting, Best Album Artwork

Beautiful, Interesting, Best Album Artwork

Select yours - Some are Beautiful , some are Interesting and some just keep you staring at them as a great album cover should.
How often has the album cover set the tone for the album or sold you at a glance?
I know for me that the album cover plays an important role when I'm in buy mode.
So here are my favorites and I'm sure I've left a large number out , but these are what come to mind at the moment.


Beach Boys - Endless Summer

Enlarge this imageReduce this image Click to see fullsize

I remember being a kid and seeing this cover on my Mom's 8-track. I remember how it would catch my attention each time I saw it.
I'm not sure what it is about it but it just sets the Beach Boy vibe.

The Beatles - SGT. PEPPERS

Could this be the most famous album of all time ?
I don't know but it captures the theme of the album and contains a lot of eye candy in one shot.

The Beatles - Abbey Road

Is there an album cover that has been analysed more ? I don't think so.
The Beatles full aware of the "Paul is dead" stories fueled the fire with this cover and that just makes it that much better.
Rarely do bands or artists interact with the critics and fans the way this cover does.
Also how often do Abbey Road sight seers get to recreate this album cover in person or for that matter how many album covers can a fan just step into ?

The Beatles - Hard Days Night

This album simply sums up what the Beatles were at the time, 4 guys with unique hair cuts who mug at the camera.
It's nearly a time capsule now of "the way we were" for the Fab Four

Prince - Sign Of The Times

Enlarge this imageReduce this image Click to see fullsize

In mind this is the best Prince Album Cover and does things that his other covers do not.
For me it conveys the dirty under belly of the album.
If you look at how things are just thrown here and there it gives one the feeling of what it might look like at the end of some over night purple jam session and party.

Prince - Purple Rain

Enlarge this imageReduce this image Click to see fullsize

This album can be summed up in one word "ICONIC" and I could leave it at that but I won't.
The cover includes all of the elements that are the album and the movie.
It's a coronation of Prince and so here he is riding in on his Purple Motorcycle , big, bad and in your face.
For once a record company really knew what it had and all involved seemed to know that it was going to be a success.

Pink Floyd Covers
Even thought I'm not a Floyd fan these two covers are the best to me.
Dark Side of the Moon being simple but memorable



ZZ Top - Afterburner

Enlarge this imageReduce this image Click to see fullsize

Even thought the album was not a big hit , the album cover was interesting to me.

Jackson Browne - Running on Empty

Enlarge this imageReduce this image Click to see fullsize

This album cover, even though it's very simple, seemed to sum up the live nature and material of the album
Something about it looks familiar in Sign Of The Times, or is it just me ?

Here are the others that I would sum up as all being Beautiful in a Art sense




No comments:

Post a Comment